All Collections
During the rental
Can I cross borders between countries with the rented car?
Can I cross borders between countries with the rented car?

Are you planning a trip that will involve crossing borders? Learn what you need to do to proceed smoothly.

Updated over a week ago

Firstly, it's important to understand that each car rental company establishes its own policies based on factors such as vehicle category, protections, fees, cross-border agreements, and local regulations.

Crossing borders in Europe and the Americas

The International Driving Permit (IDP) is a universal driver's license that contains all the information from your driver's license translated into 8 languages, allowing you to drive smoothly abroad.

While some European countries only recommend its use, the IDP is required, for example, in Italy, Austria, Georgia, and Greece.

Some states in the USA also strongly recommend the IDP, such as Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Connecticut, Kentucky, Louisiana, Massachusetts, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Texas, and Utah.

In Canada, the IDP is highly recommended for car rentals.

Crossing borders between Mercosur countries

For rental and crossing between Mercosur countries, crossing requires obtaining special insurance called the "Green Card”, or “Carta Verde”. Remember, this document is not the rental company's authorization! Therefore, always communicate your intention to cross any borders.


  • Remember: the IDP and Green Card documents are not considered authorization from the rental company to cross borders;

  • Always inform the rental company of your intention to cross borders;

  • If the vehicle crosses borders without the rental company's authorization, it is considered a breach of contract, and fees/fines may be applied;

  • The rental company may also block the vehicle, as some have GPS tracking, and involve the appropriate authorities.

Did this answer your question?